20% of young women and 6% of young men will experience a completed or attempted rape during their college career.
- Young women in their first two years of college are at the highest risk of sexual assault.
- Fear of retaliation, self-blame, lack of confidence that something will be done, and lack of understanding that what was done to them is a reportable problem are some of the many reasons victims do not report sexual harassment or assault.
- Female college students usually know the person who sexually assaulted them.
- Due to sexual victimization in college, many promising students are unable to complete their education and achieve their goals.
- Sexual harassment and/or assault experienced in college can cause physical, emotional & educational consequences that may be life-long.